Brayden's Journey

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Super Hero Brayden took his1st surgery like a pro

This morning we woke up and headed to the hospital for Brayden's 1st surgery for tissue expanders at 11 am.  Was suppose to be at 11:45 but Dr. Bauer took him back 45 minutes early, which was nice! When we arrived to the hospital we went into a pre surgery room where Brayden put on his Super Hero cape that Grandma Vauble made for him, pictures to follow soon! Then before we know it, was time to go back to the holding room. 

This is where we said good bye to Grandma & GrandpaVauble and Brayden and I went to the room together.  That is where we met Dr. Bauer and the other staff that would be working on Brayden.  They were all super nice to us.  Then it was time to give Brayden away to the nurses and I was to go sit in the waiting room, of course this was very hard to leave him, but I knew he would be in good hands and everything would be ok.

30 minutes into waiting, then nurse called the waiting room to talk to me, I got scared and thought something went wrong.  But she just wanted to tell me things were going great and not to worry.  We thought that was nice for them to give us an update.

When we were in the waiting room we started talking to another nevus Grandma and she was telling us how wonderful Dr. Bauer is and this is her grandson, Teddy's 6th surgery and everytime he does great.  So that made us feel better and also made the time pass quickly.

Next thing you know, the 1 1/2 was up and Dr. Bauer was calling us in to a conference room and he said that surgery went great and that in one side he got 100 cc's of saline and the other he got 80 cc's of saline.  The reason why he puts saline in after he puts in the expanders is because he wants the expanders to lie flat when they are inside.  So we were happy that he put that much in, were off to a great start!

Then it was time for me to go to the recovery room to see Brayden.  As I put on the scrubs outside the room, I could hear Brayden crying.  Just broke my heart! When I walked in a nurse was rocking him and he was crying so hard.  I was thinking, was he in pain, scared or was it from the drugs wearing off?

I switched spots with the nurse and the moment I held Brayden, I started crying with him,  I just hate that he is in pain and I can't help my little baby.  I rocked him for over an hour and yes, my arm and legs fell asleep ;) But it was worth it.  Even my parents came to recovery to see Brayden.  When he was in recovery, he had 6 oz. of clear liquids.  Which that helped him for awhile and he wasn't so fussy.  But he ws hungry and he wanted his milk, but he couldn't have that yet.

When our room was better, we were out of recovery.  When Brayden got to his room, he was not happy.  Grandma just held him and they both cried, he looked like he was in so much pain.  After awhile, the nurse said he can FINALLY have milk again, at this point it has been 15 hrs since he had any, he was beyond over due.  He downed 9 oz. of milk like it was nothing, which keep in mind he normally only has 6 oz. at a time. 

Since Geoffrey can't be here with us, we called him on the web cam, even though Brayden was fussy, Brayden got to hear his daddy's voice and see him.  He was fussy for awhile and finally he went to sleep in Grandma's arms.

Then we moved him to his crib and he woke up and was crying for alittle bit...then next thing you know, he gave us a huge SMILE...which melted my heart, how I loved to see that again! Then he was talking and playing with sofie and his new Mickey Mouse that daddy got him. 

I was amazed after 4 hrs out of surgery, he was his same happy self.  The rest of the night he has been doing good, eating, playing, talking and even eating puffs right now.  He is such a tropper and such a strong little super hero!

Tonight, I will be staying overnight and so will be my mom with Brayden.  Grandpa just went back to the hotel to get a good night sleep.

I will post pictures once I get my camera cord of our journey.  I will also post more as the days go by.
Tomorrow if he's doing good, which I'm sure he will be, we will leave the hospital in the morning.  After we leave, we will go to Dr. Bauer's office and they will do the 1st dressing change for us and at that point we will see the expanders.

Today is the hardest day, for Brayden and for all of us and now he is doing great and being him self, which makes me feel better about all of this.  Thank you everyone for thinking and praying for Brayden!!

1 comment:

  1. You are such a strong mama. The hardest part is over. Praying for a quick recovery sweet Brayden.

    ReplyDelete