Brayden's Journey

Monday, October 29, 2012

Surgery #6 done

What a week we had last week. Dr. Bauer looked at some updated pictures we had of Brayden and he was not happy with what he was seeing, the left expander that was red from when he was in the hospital was still red. Dr. Bauer was worried about that area getting to thin. He said if we can figure out a way to get to Chicago for surgery in 5 days, that he wants to get these expanders out 3.5 weeks early.

After first I thought no, way how would we make this work?! First of all my parents are out of town this week. And I didn't want to go alone, my grandparents called me and they told me they would be able to meet us in Chicago.

Now we can't fill the left expander and the right expander is blocked, so it really does us no good to wait the 3.5 weeks.
After talking to Geoffrey we decided we didn't want to risk loosing the skin we had stretched and we better go to Chicago. Brayden and I flew out on Saturday morning and he did great on the flight, he was perfect and played on the i-pad the whole time.

Yesterday when I was changing him, I noticed a small hole on his expander. , so I was happy that I was in Chicago and Monday was surgery. If we would have decided to wait the 3.5 weeks, I would have been freaking out in Arizona.

This morning, Brayden's hole was bigger, so I was happy today was surgery day. We didn't have to be at the hospital until 9 am, with a 10:30 surgery which turned in to a 11:30 start time for surgery.

Brayden did great when we got to the hospital, played on his i-pad and played with other toys in the room. When I went to the OR room with him, he was pretty loopy from his happy drugs they gave him. He started making animal noises, going moo, baa, oink...the nurses got a kick out of him. He also gave me lots of kisses and waved bye to me. Always makes that part better when he's happy going back to surgery and not screaming.

Surgery took 3 hours, Dr. Bauer said everything went well and that the hole in the expander didn't matter much sine it was close to the stitches. He said the problem we had with the right expander and why we couldn't get anything in when we tried to fill it the past few times, the expander had flipped and caused a kink between the tube and expander. He said the port was fine. I asked him if this has happened before and he said no, this is very rare. So of course it had to happen to us with our luck.

He said he was happy with the results and he even did some advancement on the left butt this time. He said the right side is pretty much gone now. He thinks Brayden will need 2 more rounds of expanders and the next round he wants to put one in his belly and one in his thigh. Guess we will take this one surgery at a time and see how he heals up. On the bright side of things, we have 6 surgeries behind us now and we are getting one step closer to being nevus free.

I know I am so happy this round is over with, wow what a stressful round we have had. Seems like it was one stress after another. I am happy we were able to save the skin and we had some good results this surgery. Of course not as good as we would have if we had no problems, but still happy with our results. Can't wait to see them tomorrow at Dr. Bauer's office.

When I went to the recovery room to see Brayden he was crying so hard asking for mom, so soon as he seen me, I picked him up and rocked him and he was out for an hour.

This evening he has been eating pretty good. I asked him do you want some pizza and he said pzzzz. He was very happy to see pizza for dinner, he had 2 slices and also a pack of fruit snacks. He has also been drinking lots of water. Which is good.

The past 1.5 hours he has been crying non stop. He seems so uncomfortable and keeps saying owie mom, owie. Then all of a sudden he throws up every where on the bed. I jumped out fast as I could, but he still got some on me.

I was surprised he threw up, he has never done that before. Now that his tummy feels better he's laying in bed watching the movie Lorax.

Lets hope for a good night tonight for us and also want to thank everyone for all the prayers today. Means so much to us that Brayden has such an amazing support team.

No comments:

Post a Comment