Brayden's Journey

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bad luck continues, off to Chicago on Thursday for surgery on Friday :(

We have had a rough past few days and when I think it will some how get better, it hasn't.  Well last night, I couldn't sleep, I just knew things were getting worse and when Brayden woke up, I picked him up and rocked him and I couldn't stop crying.  I could sense something was wrong. 

Well shortly after he got up, luckily my good friend Melissa who is a nurse was here and she helped change his dressing.  Well as soon as we opened the gauze, what do you know...the hole has gotten bigger since the night before, almost twice as big.  Aww, why is this happening to Brayden?!

I took pictures and emailed them over to Dr. Bauer right away.  Mim, his nurse called me and said everything will be fine and we will just have to keep gauze on it and ace wrap.  And it will begin to heal and that we should still be able to expand that side. OK, good...I was happy with hearing that.  I told her I would go to his pediatrician so she can look at it.  And his dr looked at it and she didn't think it was that bad.

Well then I was driving to work, I felt better knowing that Brayden was going to get through all of this.  Next thing you know, Mim called me and told me that Dr. Bauer got out of surgery and he looked at Brayden's pictures that I sent him earlier that morning and that he has good news, the good news is that we did get a lot of skin stretched and that he should get a lot more nevus removed then we think.  And the bad news is that he is worried that the stitches will only continue to open and that hold will get larger and if we don't do emergency surgery on Friday, the expander could fall out on it's on.  Which is not good.  They told me they want Brayden to fly out Thursday and surgery is Friday to remove both expanders.  Brayden was suppose to have his expanders in until October 10th. 

I understand why Dr. Bauer is worried and I have to trust his judgement since he is the top doctor in the world for this.  It's just hard that we now have more added stress and that we have to figure out flights, where to stay, and who will be in Chicago with Geoffrey and Brayden since my parents are in Florida right now on vacation.

Well luckily we got the flight changed, thanks to Pam who donated the flight for us, she was willing to help right away.  The next thing I did was call my grandparents and they said they are willing to help us and go to Chicago to be with Geoffrey and Brayden.  That made me feel better knowing we are getting support.  I hate it that I can't go with Geoffrey, but my work won't let me have the time off :(   Next thing we did was my dad booked us a place to stay.

Since Kate was going to come for Brayden's surgery that was suppose to be in October, I emailed her to phone us when she got up, she called and she said that she would call the travel agent and see what flight she can get on in order to be at surgery on Friday for Brayden.  Wow, everything is starting to work out and I'm not as stressed now. 

On a good note Destiny and Demi came over tonight to cook us dinner, they also brought Brayden 2 teddy bears and a balloon.  Also Kristy came over for a visit....So nice that we have great friends around for support when we need them.

Now, we are busy packing and getting things ready before Geoffrey and Brayden fly out on Thursday morning at 8:20 am. 

Thank you everyone for your prayers and for thinking of Brayden, he is so strong and I know he will get through this, it's just a set back but we will move forward and someday, when this is all over, we will be greatful that we did this for him and all this stress will be worth it

This is Brayden yesterday, he loves to make a mess when he eats ;)


This is his hole from this morning...it was 2 holes


 This is his expander now, it became 1 large hole and yes, that is the expander that you see :(


As you can see Brayden is a happy little guy even though all of this is going on.  He was so happy that his friend Demi came over to play with him

1 comment:

  1. What a lot of bad luck you had coming your way. This really will change; it must! You are doing well; you're a strong, loving mother for Brayden. Your motherly instinct tells you what to do.
    Hope Geoffrey and Brayden will have a good flight to Chicago and that Kate will be there to meet and support them. Have a good cry....that always gives some relieve. Keep you all in my prayers! Lots of love and hugs for you. Sylvia

    ReplyDelete