Brayden's Journey

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Another bump in the road

Yesterday Brayden got up at 7, which is early for him and he felt a little warm, I took his temp and he was at 101,not good! Great what is wrong now with him?! We have really been keeping him in a bubble and trying to keep him away from a lot of things right now.  I really thought we would have a good round and he wouldn't get sick, especially since he got tubes in his ears this past surgery.  Guess that was wishful thinking.

I then decided I better look at his expanders to see if they look alright and as soon as I looked, my heart dropped and I got tears in my eyes.  The left expander has a tent of red.  This is something I am so afraid of happening again.  If you all remember, the 1st round Brayden got an infection and the stitches came apart and we had to go an emergency surgery 8 weeks before the expanders were suppose to come out.  I really pray this doesn't happen to him again.  But it's really hard not to assume the worst when something happens like this. 

Here's a picture and you can see the redness in the left expander

I acted fast and emailed Dr. Bauer right away.  They responded quickly, which sometimes this isn't good news if they respond so fast...that usually means they are concerned.  They agreed with me that the best thing was to take him to his pediatrician right away.  So at 2:30 off the the doctor Brayden went.  They gave him an injection on his thigh, Rocephin antibiotic.  Which he screamed bloody murder for and all night he kept saying owie, guess this injection hurts pretty bad because they have to go in so deep and put in a lot of liquid.  They also put him on an oral antibiotic. When Brayden was at the doctor his temp was back down, thank goodness!

The rest of the day and night, Brayden laid on the couch and cried off and on and he did eat a few bites of daddy's fish for dinner and I even got his favorite candy out, Dots and he was all excited to have them and only ate 1.  Poor baby must be sick if he doesn't want Dots.

I emailed Dr. Bauer and asked him why his expander is red and this is what he said, "The redness of the expander is a direct effect of the sore throat, and should, because you got on it so quickly respond fairly quickly.  We can do everything to avoid an infection to a point, but then the expander is still a foreign body and both bacteria and viruses at work elsewhere (throat, ears, etc) just stir things up.  Give him Tylenol or Motrin regularly both for fever and to keep him comfortable. And also hold off with any expansion until this clears up." 

I am happy even though we are so far away from our doctor, I trust him and his judgement and Brayden is in the best of hands.  I just need to continue to be strong for Brayden, even though yesterday was such an emotional day for me.  Guess some days, even strong mommy's have a hard day. 

Brayden slept pretty good last night, cried off and on and when he woke up this morning at 6 am, his temp was back up to 100.  We are going to email pictures to Dr. Bauer this morning and see what the next step is.  He might have to do back to the doctor for another injection or they could put him in the hospital for an IV to help speed things up.  Please pray for my little boy, he could sure use them right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment